DeRosa Medical specializes in providing hormonal balance based on the unique needs of men. Andropause is the name given to the state of declining health that occurs in men when their testosterone levels drop to critically low levels. Both men and women require adequate testosterone in order to have full vitality, quality of life and optimal metabolic function.
DeRosa Medical evaluates male patients in a comprehensive fashion through a holistic approach; incorporating an internal medicine background and having an understanding of hormones and how they affect a man’s well-being and health. Every male patient deserves to have their reproductive health looked at in relationship to their overall health and well-being. All traditional men’s health services are offered by our providers with an eye for the big picture of internal medicine.
Men’s Health Specialty Services offered:
- Hormonal balance utilizing bio-identical therapies (including pellets)
- Evaluation and initial treatments for erectile dysfunction
- Sexually transmitted disease counseling and treatment
- Osteoporosis screening and treatment
Male hormonal evaluation and treatment consult includes:
- Physical Examination. General physical including weight, height and body mass, with attention to endocrine and reproductive systems.
- Laboratory Tests. Blood, urine and sexually transmitted disease screenings may also be performed.
- General Health and Lifestyle. Your doctor may ask you questions about your eating and exercise habits, and may counsel you on alcohol, tobacco or drug use. This is also an opportunity to discuss any physical, mental, or emotional issues you may be experiencing so that your doctor can take the appropriate steps to treat them.
- Sexual function questionnaires and metabolic assessment
- Review of hormonal physiology , bio-identical treatment options and patient expectations and goals
Hormonal balance utilizing bio-identical therapies
Hormone balance is vital for men and is required for optimal health and wellbeing.
Hypogonadism in men is an increasingly recognized health condition that is best described as a reduced or absent secretion of testosterone from the testes. Reduced testosterone levels can lead to health problems and significantly impair quality of life. Some men describe themselves as feeling “old” or “worn out”.
Common side effects of hypogonadism “low testosterone” include:
- Low energy
- Weight gain despite all attempts at proper diet and exercise
- Loss of sex drive and diminished sexual performance or erectile dysfunction
- Memory loss and decrease in executive function thinking
- Loss of self esteem and confidence
- Difficulty sleeping or insomnia
- Increase in muscle and joint pain
- Shrinking muscle mass
- Worsening blood pressure, cholesterol or glucose metabolism
- Increased risk for osteoporosis
Often these symptoms start insidiously until the patient feels that this is normal and just a part of getting older. Many of our patients do not even know how bad they feel or have coped until they feel better.
Today, there is an estimated four to five million men in the U.S. suffering from hypogonadism, of whom fewer than ten percent are receiving treatment with testosterone replacement therapy.
Testosterone therapy in many cases can address hypogonadism in a relatively short amount of time.
Our providers take a comprehensive approach to our male clients’ health, providing guidance on all aspects of hormonal deficiency to proper replacement with bio-identical hormones.
Bio-Identical testosterone comes from natural, plant-derived compounds that have the same molecular structure as those made by the human body. Unlike synthetics, our bodies can readily recognize and metabolize them.
There are many forms of bio-identical testosterone including pills, creams, gels and pellets. After discussing your health background, and your lifestyle needs, our providers will help you decide which forms of hormone replacement will be best suited for you.
Worried about testosterone and health risks? Click here for more information
Evaluation and initial treatments for erectile dysfunction
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is defined as the inability to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual intercourse. Most men can actually achieve some sort of an erection, but complain that it is not as firm or long lasting as they like it to be. The treatment options vary according to each individual patient’s need and special circumstances due to past history of either diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure, alcoholism, drug use, prostate cancer and other medical issues.
At DeRosa Medical, we have several treatment protocols available. We use sublingual tablets (under the tongue), pills, creams, injections and pellets. Until someone at DeRosa Medical meets with and diagnoses you, we will not know which treatment is right for you. We treat each and every patient as an individual. In the event that your case is more complicated, we can refer you to an excellent group of urologists who work closely with our clinic to provide the best care possible.
Sexually transmitted disease counseling and treatment
DeRosa Medical offers professional personalized risk assessment, counseling and support, testing and treatment in a confidential setting. Services include screening and treatment for Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Trichomoniasis, Hepatitis and HIV. If required, we will provide you with appropriate referrals to best manage the outcomes of such testing.
Osteoporosis Screening and Prevention
DeRosa Medical offers a comprehensive program focusing on the evaluation and management of patients who are at risk for osteoporosis or already have osteoporosis, with six major components:
- Clinical Risk Factor Assessment and Interpretation
- Physical Exam
- DXA screening
- Secondary Evaluation of Risk Factors including blood work
- Risk Factor and Life Style Modification
- Treatment and Management of High Risk Patients
If you have any questions about our Men’s Health Services please contact us for more information or to make an appointment with us. DeRosa Medical is located in Scottsdale, AZ and serves the Gilbert, Glendale and Chandler areas.